Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Music music music...

I meant to post this a couple of days ago but Blogger was down so you get it now...

I am happy to announce that my gig Monday night was a success! Thank you to those of you who offered encouragement... every little bit helped.
The event started at 6:30 pm and was held in the Pacific Ballroom of the Hotel Vancouver (a GORGEOUS room) by IABC. After some initial confusion as to where they should put me (they wanted to set me up in one spot for an hour and then move me to another spot for another hour) they put me up on the stage of the ballroom under the proscenium arch with a spotlight on me and hooked me into the sound system.
I think that the sound guys loved me more than anyone else! ;) When they saw that I brought with me a full mini system and all they had to do was provide me with power and a single cable to hook into their system they were _ecstatic_.
The idea then was that the doors of the ballroom would be opened and the people in the outer areas having the champagne reception would hear the music trickling out through the door. Unfortunately the acoustic didn't cooperate. But that was actually a bonus for me. It gave me a little more time to get used to the room and settle down any nerves and/or jitters I had going on.
At 7:30 people began to filter into the room from the outer area. At that point I began playing and singing. It was like most other gigs in one aspect, the music was mostly for wallpaper... that is to say that I am sure the crowd enjoyed it but they still went on talking, carousing and having fun (which was, after all, the point of the event).
The spotlight was actually a nice feature as I couldn't see past the first row of people and so had very little stage fright. The lighting was great (for once) and I only made mistakes when I decided to be daring and try something I was not ABSOLUTELY sure that I had down.
Sadly I did not get a chance to mingle and give out any business cards. It was too bad really, with so many business people in one place I had hoped to take advantage of the opportunity and make some contacts. Oh well, I will ask the organizer to provide my info to anyone interested.
After I was finished there was a hilarious operatic skit about an Italian, a Frenchman, and an American that featured three tenors (or The Three Waiters as they called themselves) with superb voices. After they finished I whipped up on stage with the help of one of the (very good looking) housemen and got my sound equipment and harp up in about 5 minutes. I made it home safely and spent the rest of the evening relaxing.

Yesterday I got a call from a gentleman who wants me to play harp for a university graduation party in Shaunessy this Friday night for an hour and a half (is it ALWAYS feast or famine for musicians?) and wants a selection of Irish music (hmmm... I wonder if I know enough Irish music to fill the time... ummm.... YES). I am looking foward to having another gig so quickly but it is going to be one BUSY night!

Sealion war is this weekend so Derek and I will be heading to Aldergrove after I am finished my gig (at 8:00 pm) and going out to the site to set up. I can't wait for the event. I love the joint Vancouver-Victoria events as I get to see lots of people from Victoria I do not usually get to see. Sadly my friend Hugh won't be coming to the event (which is a little silly since he is currently staying with Derek and I and will be going home on Friday) as he was sick last week and needs to head home before the event to catch up on work and get some R&R this weekend.
I guess we will just have to get along without him this weekend :(

Yesterday was a REALLY fun day. I taught a voice lesson around 1:00 and then headed over to Dorothy's to drop off her camping stuff (which we won't be able to transport now that we do not have the van) and some other things that she has agreed to take to the site with her. Then she and I went to Aphrodite's for some AMAZING organic lunch... I was VERY naughty and had an open face melt with spinach, roma tomatoes and brie on top of a multigrain bread baked with garlic in it... SOOOOO yummy!
She and I then went to a Greek deli and I finally bought myself some Rose water (it is a really nice way to flavor drinking water and I think I will bring it to the event this weekend). I also picked up some Orange Blossom (Neroli) water which is also quite good (I hadn't tried it before yesterday). As Dorothy pointed out I seem to be obsessed with eating and drinking flowers... we decided it was just the bohemian thing to do.
We then went back to her place and lounged around for a few hours waiting for Derek to get off work and meet us at East is East for dinner (really good middle-eastern food). Dinner was fantastic (though the service was a little slow due to understaffing and the fact that a party of 12 showed up only slightly after we did). We had time to pop into a second hand book store that Derek and I like before dinner and he was able to get some books to complete series that he was working on. :)
By 8:30 we were finished, just in time to get called by Hugh (who we were expecting) saying he was heading into town from the ferry. Derek, Dorothy and I headed home and met up with Hugh and then spent most of the evening sharing amusing video clips from the internet.
Hugh gave Dorothy a ride home (as she LOVES motorcycle riding) and then came back. Hugh and I had time (well... I actually just kept him up late) to chat which was nice as he is going to be very busy while he is here.

Today is going to be an organization/running errands day. I figure if I get everything together today and tomorrow then Friday should go smoothly enough. I was thinking about doing some sewing but I think I might just leave it alone this week. The garb I made for the last event might get a little attention just so it is a little more fitted but nothing else.
I am going out to Academie Duello tonight (as is my friend Conan... I think) and am going to try and authorize so that I can fight this weekend at the War if I chose to.

I hope all is well out there in the rest of the world. I am always interested in seeing what my friends, family and fans are up to so if you have a blog or livejournal, please post a comment here so I can take a look. :)

Bye for now!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Busy couple of days. Have fun at the SCA stuff on the weekend!

7:37 AM  
Blogger sonneva said...

Sounds like an awesome couple of days! Have fun this weekend :)

12:42 PM  
Blogger Fhionghuin said...

You go girl. It is always feast or famine with us musicians, eh? Serious feasting over here too... 'tis the season! :)

Have fun at Sealion! I haven't been to an event in _forever_.

Cheers,
Darren
http://fhionghuin.blogspot.com/

9:44 PM  
Blogger W* said...

Hey Hey,

Less then three weeks till you and Derek come up here and get to hang out with me! So excited! I think We're planning anouther wine trip for the last wekend in August (26&27) If your not busy, I'm thinking we can do an early b-day celebration. Hope you guys are having a great time this weekend, glad to hear that things are going so well!

Hugs*
Katie*

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home